Using LinkedIn to start your career
LinkedIn is a professional networking site. You can search for jobs, research companies and individual professionals; you can also join groups and networks. It has over 160 million members across the globe and you can connect with anyone anywhere in the world.
So what can you do on LinkedIn?
- See where other students, who studied the same subject as you, are now working
- Find out about job leads
- Research companies and connect with their employees
- Find contacts for informational interviewing opportunities
- Keep up-to date with news and events in your career or industry of interest
- You can also get the opportunity to participate in career specific group discussions about your area of interest
If you are new to LinkedIn and are thinking about using it, why not view the careers service help sheet on ‘How to use LinkedIn’ . Alternatively visit the LinkedIn Higher Education page where you would find videos and tips sheets to help you get started
Some additional tips
- Create compelling brand for yourself; think about a headline for your profile that highlights your unique personal strengths and skills
- Use a professional looking photo of yourself. Remember first impressions count
- Create status updates to share personal career news and items of career interest.
- Don’t link your LinkedIn account to your Facebook profile, because your holiday pictures, for example, are not necessarily what you want to highlight to employers
- Use professional language when messaging new contacts
- Always be polite and clear about who you are and what you would like from them
- Consider including recommendations from your employers and/or colleagues on your profile. This will impress potential employers
- Join several groups in your career area and contribute to discussions; this will help you build rapport with other professionals.
For further information please visit the SOAS Careers webpage or call us on 020 7898 4115 . Alternatively pop into room 101 in the College Building for a chat.