How can I find the best internship for me?
Finding internships is a largely proactive process, and SOAS Careers is on hand to offer support and resources to help your search.
- Take a look at SOAS exclusive internships, as well as a whole range of resources on the SOAS Careers Moodle. The vacancies are really regularly updated, but don’t be limited to these in your search. The resource lists have hundreds of vacancies on their jobs boards.
- JobOnline has thousands of vacancies including internships every week. You can set yourself up alerts to receive emails when relevant vacancies are posted.
- Graduate Gateway advertises internships for University of London students
- If you are having trouble getting an internship at your ideal company, let them know that you may be eligible for a SOAS exclusive Santander Grant.
- Think about your networks whether they be professional, academic or even personal, you never know who may have contacts that can help you in finding an internship.
If you’re looking to get a placement in a very competitive sector you may have to approach employers directly. This is known as making a speculative application and involves approaching an organisation about the possibility of working for them. Please look at our website for advice on making speculative applications or you can also contact the Careers Service for more advice.
- Develop personal, vocational and transferable skills
- Build your self-confidence.
- Enhance your employability by gaining valuable relevant work experience
- Build your network by making contacts in your chosen field.
- Gain knowledge through practical experience in your chosen field
- Apply the theory you have learned on your course to a real-life practical context
- Potential to build a long term career
- Earn as you learn!
How do I prepare?
We know how tough it is out there, and SOAS Careers is here to make sure you are as prepared as you can be. We can help you with CV checks, help on how to write a cover letter and applications, practise interviews and long careers discussion. We offer students 15 minute appointments Monday to Friday which you can book on the day only by calling (0207 898 4115) or coming by SL57.
Good luck and we look forward to seeing you soon!